Monday, August 19, 2013

A New Look for Martha Stewart Living (Plus a House Tour)

Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
This summer, the latest issues of Martha Stewart Living arrived to subscribers' mailboxes with a new look. At various times throughout the magazine's 22 years in print, there have been revamps, changes in editorial staff and many "new looks" and, because I own 128 issues of Living, I've seen the changing face of the publication across a long period of time. Many changes were subtle and most amounted to the sustained success of the magazine as a "go-to" source of crafters, cooks, and gardeners alike.

After perusing the last two issues of MSL (the first two with the brand new design) I was struck by the overall change in aesthetic--more white space on each page, modern fonts used throughout and a youthful attitude to projects and features. Think: more colorful, more casual, more approachable.

A feature in the September issue of Martha Stewart--showcasing stylist Jessica de Ruiter's California home--that helps underscore this change. Let's take a peek, shall we?

If the name Jessica de Ruiter doesn't ring any bells, at least one of her previous magazine features (in Domino) may resonate with you:
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Look familiar?  Her home, which appears in MSL's September issue, features a style that can only be described as California cool and continues the same kind of style we all loved in this "outfit-to-room" article from Domino. I scanned the MSL pages, which don't yet appear on marthastewart.com for us to enjoy:
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
 The lines and style of de Ruiter's home and furnishings are both modern and eclectic--not too far outside the signature Martha Stewart aesthetic, but still more modern and clean-lined than in years past.  
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Throughout the photos, there is an emphasis on the "collected" look and good, functional design. Everything in this home looks luxurious but not precious. Everything can be sat on and used, all while being appreciated for its appearance. A fresh approach to design in Martha Stewart Living, if you ask me. 
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
The gurus at MSL even thought to add a "Get the Look" page after every decor spread, making it easier for readers to recreate the style they see in the magazine. 
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
(all images scanned via Meet Me in Philadelphia)

All in all, change can be a good thing. I can't say that I was tired of the traditional MSL design or layout, but it seems apparent that the magazine wants to embrace a new generation of readers and appeal to a broader audience. If they stick to their well-executed projects and well-researched articles, the publication will be successful for years to come. 

What do you think of de Ruiter's home and the change in Martha Stewart Living? 
Do you read the magazine on a regular basis? Would you be more likely to check out the publication now with its revamped appearance?

4 comments:

  1. I may reconsider my subscription. I kind of got bored with it bc it seemed too stuffy compared to other mags. Guess I am an aesthetics girl :) And that kitchen is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Martha! I ready her from time to time but I'm thinking now might be a chance to try out a regular subscription.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say its high time. I never subscribed because it felt a little too straight-laced. I'll have to give it another look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just picked this up the other day at the book store. MSL is one of the magazines I don't subscribe to but every now and then I'll pick it up if the cover strikes me and if what I see when I browse catches my attention. I'll be interested to look at it more now with this info as well.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1