Monday, June 2, 2014

Our Newly-Reupholstered Living Room Chairs

Despite the unintended radio silence, life has continued to move along even if I fail to chronicle much of it here on the blog. The past weekend, though, I finally had a development worthy of writing about: the vintage open-arm chairs that I found for a song at an auction last year came back from the upholsterer's!

To fully appreciate the transformation, let's take a look at what they looked like up until very recently:
Not very stylish, huh? The pair of open-armed tub chairs were a bargain that I found at an auction back in March 2013. The pair only set me back $130 and, though the fabric desperately needed help, the unique shape intrigued me. 

We lived with them for about a year before I settled on a soft fawn-colored cotton velvet to recover them in. Cotton velvets are affordable and are available in a wide range of hues--two attributes that sold me on the idea. With fabric in hand, we drove the chairs (and our tufted sofa...which is still in process) to the upholsterer's.
I couldn't have been more thrilled to receive the email on Friday notifying me that the chairs were ready...but I was even more thrilled to see how beautifully they turned out.

We removed the back cushion entirely, and instead opted for a fitted back with only two buttons. The worn-out seat foam was replaced, guaranteeing a few more decades of comfort.
The end result is a sophisticated and comfortable pair of chairs that get me excited for the direction in our living room.
(all via Meet Me in Philadelphia)

While there's still so much to do, I'm happy in the incremental progress we continue to make in this important room in our home. There's few things that make me more pleased than a well-done upholstery project!

Happy Monday, everyone. How have you all been? I've missed you terribly!

18 comments:

  1. LOVE. Yes, very sophisticated and classic. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They go perfectly with your crisp and neutral atheistic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out beautifully!!! I love love love your fabric choice. These suckers will look fab in any damn room you put them in. Can't wait for the sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these so much!! Great choice on the fabric and on removing the back cushions. So gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Ashley! And, great choice on the fabric! So chic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moving right along! They look great and so nice to see you demonstrate the options that you have when reupholstering. I like the direction you went with these - enjoy them! I've got a chair that will need to be upholstered at some point but for the time being I'm enjoying getting acquainted with it - it's very comfortable. It'll be even better when it's pretty and freshened up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how they turned out. The texture of the chairs against the rug is really nice

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely LOVE the color and texture you chose for these, Ashley. VERY sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so beautiful! i think your fabric choice really lets the shape of the chair shine. gorgeous additions to an already beautiful room.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!!! You are so good about re-upholstering pieces to make them really special. Yay for living room progress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice save on the chairs. They look great and one of a kind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! Well done on seeing your vision of these chairs through.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, I have been admiring some very similar chairs from a Celerie Kemble designed space for quite some time. Couldn't love these more! You must be thrilled!!! Can't wait to see more . . .

    ReplyDelete
  14. These chairs really turned out great. What a great fabric selection! It is very timeless. With all of the neural colors in this room, that old photograph hanging on the wall just pops in such a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my! I need these for our new house!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE. Yes, very sophisticated and classic. Now I'm looking forward to seeing the sofa!
    cirrus-sofa-design

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just checking in. I hope all is well and that you are not working TOO hard. (But I have a sneaking suspicion that you are.)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1