Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Traveling to Stockholm, Part II

Ready to hear a bit more about Stockholm, Sweden?
Because I loved the city so much, I had more recaps and travel recommendations to offer in addition to those shared yesterday. So, without further ado, Part II of "Traveling to Stockholm".
Skansen Open-Air Museum (Skansen)
Djurgårdsslätten 49
Like the Norwegian Museum of Cultural History that I wrote about on Monday, Skansen is another open-air museum that embodies the most important cultural and environmental aspects of Sweden while also being, in spots, an amusement park of sorts for children. Propped high on a hill, you will get unparalleled views of Stockholm from several points inside Skansen. The park consists of over 75 acres filled with traditional buildings, farms, and park employees in traditional garb.
Vasa Museum (Vasamuseet)
Galärvarvsvägen 14
On her maiden voyage in 1628, the Vasa set sail and promptly sunk in the Stockholm harbor. Over two hundred years later, the wreck of the Vasa was found 95% intact, salvaged and placed on permanent display. Head to the Vasa Museum to see this miraculous piece of history yourself. 
National Museum (Nationalmuseum)
Söndra Blasiehomshamnen
Yesterday, I wrote about the Moderna Museet in Stockholm which is a must-visit; just down the street, you will find the National Museum which has in its permanent display a century of Scandinavian design. This exhibition was particularly convincing of the role Sweden has played in the integration of thoughtful design into everyday life.
Restaurang B.A.R. (Blasieholmens Akvarium o Restaurang)
Blasieholmsgatan 4A
My husband Adam is a bit of a foodie and thusly, he challenges himself to find great cuisine wherever he visits. Stockholm provided Adam with Restaurang B.A.R. and, specifically, with his first experience with crayfish. Crayfish are traditionally eaten during summertime in Nordic countries, so Adam was pleased to finish our time in Stockholm with this local delicacy. Even if you visit Restaurang B.A.R. outside of crayfish season, I'm confident you'll enjoy the atmosphere, great service and yummy food.
(all images via Meet Me in Philadelphia)

After two days covering all of the wonderful sites to be seen in Stockholm, do you think you're convinced to visit now? Keep in mind, these two days only represent a sampling of the things to do there...I promise you will not be disappointed by this lovely city.

Up tomorrow: Copenhagen, Denmark!

3 comments:

  1. Between the crayfish, the National Museum, and those crazy ships - yes, you have totally convinced me to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I know I have been out of the loop, but when did you go to Stockholm? So jealous! Love those pics! I think you just convinced me of another place to add to my travel wish list! The pics of you and your husband are too cute!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite memory of Stockholm was that amazing ship. sad I missed the castle-cum-museum you mentioned in the first post. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1