Thursday, October 10, 2013

A Quick Trip to Maine

Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Late last week, I snuck up to New England with my Mom. As the weekend began we headed up to Maine, specifically to Mount Desert Island to spend several days with my aunt, grandmother and some of my cousins. 

Though our intentions to visit Acadia National Park were unrealized thanks to the government shutdown, I still enjoyed my time on Maine coast during this gorgeous time of year.

I've spent a lot of time in Maine during my lifetime, but this was my first trip to the Acadia area. Bar Harbor--and the adjacent towns like Southwest Harbor and Northeast Harbor-are scenic without too many tourist traps. Sure, there are lobster-themed sweatshirts and blueberry-shaped soaps to be had, but the real attraction of the area is the natural surroundings.

Yesterday, the weather was bright and clear. Despite the park being officially closed, we made the most of our time here. We bought tickets for a scenic boat tour that launched from Bar Harbor and, for over two hours, enjoyed the rocky shoreline, flocks of ducks and the occasional harbor seal.
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Our tour afforded the chance to ogle the gorgeous historic homes of Bar Harbor and neighboring towns, though I was sad when we didn't pass Martha's Seal Harbor home, Skylands. You know I would have loved that.
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.comMeet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
I was green with envy over every single home. I also snapped some pictures of the flora and fauna around the coastline that was too pretty not to share.  
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
Meet Me in Philadelphia meetmeinphiladelphia.blogspot.com
(all via Meet Me in Philadelphia)
So, we didn't make it to Acadia National Park. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the last few days on Mount Desert Island and hope to return again another year. 

Have you ever been to this quaint spot in Vacationland? I would definitely encourage you to!

6 comments:

  1. How beautiful, I love seeing homes on the water. They look so peaceful!
    Karolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in a town next to Portland. If you've never spent time there, I highly recommend it!! Acadia and Cadillac Mountain are amazing. So sorry you missed it but sounds like you will have future opportunities to check it out. Great pics! I always miss home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been to Maine a few times, and I think it is one of my all time favorite places to visit. It is crazy beautiful and that coastline just makes me happy. If only that water wasn't so damn cold. I've been to 'Bah Habah' once and I believe I did in fact walk away with a lobster sweatshirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashley,

    My name is Jocelyn and I am with Dwellable. I am looking for fun and authentic blogs about Bar Harbor and yours happened to catch my eye. If you’re open to it, shoot me an e-mail at jocelyn(at)dwellable(dot)com.

    Hope to hear from you soon!
    - Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1