Monday, February 24, 2014

Our Vintage Jadeite Bathroom {The Reveal}

Vintage jadeite tile bathroom via Meet Me in Philadelphia
This reveal is about three months in the making but, today, I'm proud (and relieved!) to show off the results of our vintage jadeite bathroom redo.

I first posted the plans in November, and at that time it was our goal to have the space completed for Christmas houseguests. Well, our visitors came and went while the bathroom languished. We struggled with uncooperative plumbing, speciality parts (the complexity that comes with working with original 55 year-old fixtures) and post-holiday exhaustion. But, today, here we are!
In order to fully appreciate the after, I encourage you to check out the before pictures here and here. To reiterate, we kept all the original fixtures and tile. We sanded, painted, caulked, patched, repaired, replaced...you name it, we did it.

I hope you like the afters as much as we do!
Vintage jadeite tile bathroom via Meet Me in Philadelphia
 We added a vintage-inspired glass shelf to the left of the sink for additional storage.
Vintage jadeite tile bathroom via Meet Me in Philadelphia
 Patterned ribbon, picked up for less than $10 at an antique shop, enhanced hand towels from Target.
Vintage jadeite tile bathroom via Meet Me in Philadelphia
Vintage jadeite tile bathroom via Meet Me in Philadelphia
Vintage jadeite tile bathroom via Meet Me in Philadelphia
A semi-sheer cotton voile cafe curtains diffuse light from the backyard while still offering privacy. I wanted to add a plant or two to the space, so an antique bamboo plant stand--picked up at the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market in CT over the summer--is the perfect spot for a fern.
Vintage jadeite tile bathroom via Meet Me in Philadelphia
The original, solid toilet (meaning the tank and seat are one whole piece) took a lot of work to function normally again. Now, thankfully, it does! It's been my dream for awhile to use a black toilet seat, and now I can say the look has lived up to my expectation. Black toilet seats for all, I say!
Vintage jadeite tile bathroom via Meet Me in Philadelphia
Vintage jadeite tile bathroom via Meet Me in Philadelphia
All in all, I'd say our jadeite bathroom is worthy of guests, both now and in the future.
Vintage jadeite tile bathroom via Meet Me in Philadelphia
(all images via Meet Me in Philadelphia)

Sources (items not listed are vintage/thrifted):
Vintage-style flush mount light via Home Depot
Oil-rubbed bronze door knobs via Home Depot
Waffle-weave shower curtain via Target
Voile cafe curtains via Country Curtains
Black toilet seat via Amazon
Glass bathroom shelf via Amazon
Comb print via Rifle Paper Co.
Bobby pin print via Note to Self/Society 6
White tree trunk vase via Bell'Occhio
Bamboo guest toothbrushes via Amazon
Tissue box cover via Ten Thousand Villages

Come back tomorrow to learn how I turned affordable Target hand towels into custom linens with vintage ribbon!

P.S. Thanks for hanging in there with me lately! I know I've been MIA a lot lately but I've been busy with projects, my Etsy shop and life (like snow, leaks in the den, and Adam's birthday). I've missed you all so much and am glad to be back!

28 comments:

  1. this looks amazing! It really gives me hope for our vintage peach bathroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashely, I LOVE your bathroom. It's so adorable and fresh (and original)! So refreshing! I think my favorite item is your celling light fixture and your toilet! If I were a guest in your home, I would love to get ready in this bathroom and then go hit all that Philly has to offer. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woooow! It looks wonderful! It sounds like it was a significant amount of work, but the result is spectacular!

    I also have a 55 year old bathroom. It started out pink, buta previous owner epoxy painted over it in white. It's holding up okay, but the original shower fixtures are awful and leaky. As I'm sure you know, fidning replacements is very difficult. Maybe we'll try to repair them as you have. Thanks for the inspiration! This is really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks sooo good and I am so glad you didn't just rip everything out like a lot of people would have....it has so much character :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Ashley, it looks amazing! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The end product is gorgeous, worth all you effort. Love everything about it, the toilet, the green, the deep tub, Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful job. I love that you were able to preserve the vintage tile and at the same time give the bathroom a fresh, modern look.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ashley, it looks amazing! I love how you pulled such vintage pieces into this space. I'm also in love with mint and jadeite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, so beautiful and fresh!! I would expect nothing less from you, Ashley. Great job!!! Now, I can come visit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO beautiful!! Ashley you did such an amazing job! All of the fixtures look pristine and I love how bright and cherry it is. You done good my friend. And how in the world did you find ribbon that goes so well with your tiles?! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! So fresh and clean and vintage and sexy! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so pretty! I love it! Love your style Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fantastic looking! You did such a nice job in this space. Excited to see how you updated those towels!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so great Ashley, and I'm sure that I've said it before but I love that you've embraced the vintage features in this bathroom. And the black toilet seat is a great detail! It's nice that you're handy with the sewing machine because that ribbon detail on the towels is a nice touch and makes a simple towel much more interesting. Job well done my friend. I'll have to venture over to see what new goodies are in your Etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, love!! It looks so fresh and happy!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a perfect simple room! We have a bathroom very similar to this so i can really appreciate the love that went into it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love!!! Everything looks amazing! love all the details, the art, the black toilet seat, the trim you added to the towels! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kudos for saving the vintage bathroom and breathing new life into it, Ashley! You really have outdone yourself here. I'm expecting to see this one pop up all over Pinterest. My two favorite bits: how the hyacinth color plays off the minty tiles and how that comb print adds a bit of humor to the space. Just gorgeous.
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just all the right details, just the right editing, just the perfect balance of preserved vintage and modern living. Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful, I love it! You did an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks great!! I am obsessed with mint and love seeing it in bold tile. So fun and refreshing!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks wonderful! The tile is gorgeous and your details really make the space!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So beautiful! I love every detail of it! And the tooth brushes are so fun! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. We have the exact same wall tile. I was not as lucky color wise. I love that you kept so much of the original charm!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh how I love a vintage bathroom. So classic and beautiful. Everything looks great and I too am a fan of the black seat. I may have to do that….-Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Your bathroom looks very refreshing! And it was you who did it. Hooray! It looks like it was done by professionals. The three months it took to make it were definitely well-paid off. That’s nice!

    Lynne Hollaran

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ashley,
    New to your blog and also live in the Philly 'burbs, work in early childhood education AND have a jadeite bathroom (I'm no longer calling it 'mint' thanks to you!)
    Just have to say that your bathroom looks awesome and has inspired me to do some mini-updates to mine as well. Just a thought, have you ever heard of Retro Renovation? It's a blog that I'm SURE would love to see what you've done with your space, especially the bathroom. Check it out ( http://retrorenovation.com/ ) and welcome to Phil!
    Missy

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1