Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Coatrack on the Cheap

Before I move on from the changes I've made to the guest bedroom, I wanted to share a very quick and cheap (always good!) coatrack that I made to add some much-needed organization to the room. I'd previously lusted over pricey coatracks on this blog but I thought my money was better spent elsewhere, so I went ahead and tackled my own using some materials I had lying around the apartment.

For my coatrack, I gathered together 5 off-white ceramic knobs that I bought from Hobby Lobby, some Gorilla glue, and a small piece of wood--the piece I used was cut at Home Depot. For reference, it measures 24" x 2.5" x 1" and it was spray painted using Rustoleum Painter's Touch in Heirloom White (satin finish, btw).  
I've had these knobs on hand for months. I bought them when I was re-doing my grass green sideboard, but decided to use these Martha Stewart knobs instead. Fast forward six months, these $2.99 Hobby Lobby drawer pulls are serving as the basis for a quick and easy project elsewhere!
Construction of the coatrack was simple.
First, I removed all of the screws and washers that came with the knobs for their original purpose, to be actual drawer pulls.
Then, I took time to space each knob equally across the piece of wood before eventually securing each knob with the superglue--no screws or nails needed for this part!
Voila! It's as easy as that. 
Lastly, I added a picture hanger on back of the coatrack and, after waiting a few hours for the glue to fully cure, the rack was ready to be hung. 
The final product:
Quick and easy!

5 comments:

  1. Great idea. I love that you didn't have to go out to buy anything for this project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I love beautiful stuff on the cheap. Great job Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! This is the cutest idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I love projects like this that are purposeful, charming, and inexpensive. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much better than your standard hook!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1