Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Second-coming of Brass?

While I'm certainly not the first to write about this, have you noticed the resurgence in brass decor lately? Just a few years ago the word brass and the connotation with cheap, constructor-grade fixtures would send a shiver down the spine of the style-inclined. Everything around the modern home was replaced with silver-tone wonder...stainless steel appliances, brushed nickel fixtures, and decorative accessories with a platinum trim were de rigueur.

While the cooler-toned hues of silver and stainless steel are far from over, I find myself having a bit of an out-of-body experience. I am finding myself drawn to...wait for it...brass!

(via M Design...I purchased a very similar table on Ebay for $50!)

Brass made even better with a Missoni pairing...

(via M Design)

While I'm not ready for a full-on brass explosion in my home, I thought a nice accent piece would be just enough...how about a vintage strapwork stool in brass?

(via 1stdibs.com...and waaaaaaaay out of my budget)

(via Modern Dose...price getting better...still $435!)

What about Etsy?

(via Etsy...though still about $125 too rich for my blood)

The warm sunniness of brass is surprisingly appealing and complementary to a brooding kilim or a linen sofa. I'm dipping my toe in the water of full-out brass love...and found this great little stool on Ebay for about $40. It will serve as the perfect side table to our den (a real work-in-progress that I've yet to share).

What do you think? Have you made the leap to brass?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog today. I like brass accents a lot- especially as table. Still not digging them for cabinet hardware or fixtures though.

    PS- I have the same coffee table as you!! $35- don't you love Ebay??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Naomi, agreed...I won't be swapping out any neutral stainless steel hardware for brass in my apartment any time soon. A little goes a long way!

    Love, love, love Ebay. I'm mildly addicted. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1