Monday, April 30, 2012

Now Debuting: My Den!

This past weekend, I was in Connecticut for a brief visit with my parents and finished up a few projects that I've been working on in my den. If you're new around here, I should explain that our "den" is an extra living area in our apartment that is entirely underground and a room my husband and I didn't have furniture for when we moved in almost 3 years ago.

In the time since, I've slowly collected pieces to make the space cozy enough for some quality reading time.
Here's how the den looks today, complete with a newly upholstered pair of Empire style chairs, a demijohn lamp, and a burlap-skirted round table (all of which are making their blog debut today!).

The den:
 My husband and father-in-law added this much-needed series of floating shelves in November and I've filled them to the brim after scrapping our Ikea Expedit in January. The book nook was made more complete with a 30" round table covered in white burlap and a stack of books, not to mention the demijohn lamp I mentioned converting last fall. 
 Some detail shots: 
 I've wanted to use the Parlor Textiles pattern "Winter Floral" for awhile and loved the combination of it with my dotty parsons ottomans in the den. I purchased a yard and Mom made a throw pillow for my loveseat. 
Didn't she do a fantastic job?
 The remainder of the yard went to the seats of my Empire side chairs, which I found during an antiquing trip in Connecticut with Mom in March. I love the delicate slope of their legs, not to mention the way their traditional style plays off the more modern art in the den.
 Another shot of the space, which includes my DIY Stray Dog papier-mache side table.
Nearly a year after making it, I still smile when I see it.
I am very happy with the evolution of my den, especially when considering that we had nothing for this room when my husband and I moved in. I took time to acquire pieces that felt special and eclectic.

What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. Looks great, Ashley! I love the new chairs and the fabric on them and the throw pillow!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it all, Ashley! You should be so proud as this space is a showstopper. I think most people's main living areas don't look this collected and special. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashley, it looks great! My eye had so much to look at and study - collected is right. It's so great. Man, I will be referencing your den when I start with our new home. Your den looks effortless! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so awesome!! I absolutely love it. Those empire chairs are to die for.

    I tried to write congrats on your new job last week but I don't think the comment went through. So happy you found a job that you'll love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love love love the floral fabric. 'Lookin good in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I would LOVE to have a space like that to curl up with a good book! :)

    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really admire how all of your pieces play off one another. It's such a GREAT mix and a still absolutely adore those Empire chairs!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful space. I love that you took your time with it and let it evolve!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this with me Ashley! I love the look and with burlap you cannot go wrong.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1