Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Demijohns

Demijohns have become quite a "thing" in decorating, haven't they?
Originally created as large narrow-necked bottles used for wine or beer brewing, these often-colorful glass vessels have found a second life in vignettes and tablescapes around the blogworld and in shelter magazines. For more on the history of the demijohn, be sure to visit this site.

The prettiest demijohns are often a beachy blue or green color, and are used to inspire artists:

to bring light to a dark bedside:
(via Pinterest)
(via Searching for Style)

to support a lush branch:

or branches:

From the images above, you can see that demijohns come in a variety of shapes, colors, and sizes.
They can often be quite expensive too, especially if they are vintage.
(a selection of vintage demijohns from Jayson Home & Garden)

Luckily enough though, I stumbled across a vintage demijohn in a thrift store over two years ago for $15! It's been somewhat neglected in my home ever since, but I'm hoping to transform it to a lamp (like the inspiration photos above). To do that, I'll need one of these:
(Cork bottle adapter from Ballard Designs)

Do you have any of these lovely bottles in your home?
What's your favorite way to decorate with a demijohn?

5 comments:

  1. I feel like I've been searching for a pretty blue one forever. I had one in Boston but it broke in the move :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got two of those, but not yet the perfect one... Still looking for it! I like to use them as vases, but I loved the adapter and I've got one bottle that would make a lovely lamp! That's a great find, thank you for sharing! :)

    http://www.scavengenius.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these. I want to find a big ole one and stick it with leaves and sit in on my clients fireplace hearth. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear lord, what I wouldn't give for one of these. I have a circa 2001 blown glass vase from Crate and Barrel that is demijohn-like, but it's not quite the same. Aren't you lucky that you found one a thrift store? Envious.
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! I have one with woven wicker around it that I found for 20 bucks at an antique store. I have thought about the light kit, but it is also great by itself.
    I love all the pictures you used!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1