Monday, September 19, 2011

Customizing Off-the-Rack Curtain Panels

In the two years that we've lived in this apartment, I've always appreciated the simplicity of the white Pottery Barn Peyton draperies that hang in our living room. 
(the "before")
The solid white allows the eye to rest somewhere in a room filled with prints; and yet, I can't seem to leave well enough alone because I recently updated each panel.

I didn't start out intending to do anything to the PB curtains, but when I came across this image
(via Decor Pad)

...my wheels started spinning in overdrive. 
But, really, can you blame me? This space is gorgeous (you know I love me some red)!

Aside from jazzing up each curtain panel with some attention-grabbing trim, I also wanted to reinvent these into pinch pleated curtains and that is just where I started. Mom was here this weekend, and it seemed to be the perfect project for us to tackle together.

After a trip to Joann Fabrics, we had everything I needed to begin: 3" wide pleating tape, several packages of pleater hooks, pins, measuring tape, and twill tape (which I purchased from this seller on Etsy).
  Red twill tape trim was pinned to 3 of the four edges of the curtain panels (1" off of the vertical edges and 3" off the horizontal edge):
Mom stitched the trim on each panel...
 ...as well as the pleating tape to the top of each panel:
The final step for "pinch pleating" involves inserting your pleater hooks into the pleating tape. Very straightforward stuff.

I won't bore you with any more directions, but instead I'll go ahead and share some pictures of the installation:
I'll be honest with you all, Mom and I were met with several obstacles when completing this project, but we're both really happy with the results. I'm sure my new Sister Parish-upholstered chair will look great in the space (notice the hole where it once sat).

Hope you like them!

16 comments:

  1. Ashley, it makes such a difference!! They pop now w/that red trim!! Great choice and awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty update! I love the pop of red. Can't wait to see your newly upholstered chair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, love it! I also can't wait to see it with the chair! Take care, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks great!
    I did a design board for a client that included customizing white draperies with red trim--I'm sending them this link to see a finished version. And as you know, I've been busy trimming the life out of my curtains. One last pair to sew...

    Heather
    loveyourspace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it looks fabulous! I liked the before, but the after is amazing! Great project.

    http://www.scavengenius.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! It's so nice you could domthat with you Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo la la! Snazzy, razzy red pizazzy. I'm glad you didn't leave well enough alone! They look awesome, Ashley. Oh, and I LOVE that lamp.

    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  8. BIG difference. Love little details like that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had a progect like this on my "to do" list for too long. After seeing how great yours came out I have to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look AWESOME!!! They really look like entirely new drapes, great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This room keeps getting better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look great! And I can hardly wait for your chair to come back!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like it. I really adds a nice tailored touch. When is the chair due in?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking good. The trim makes all the difference in the world, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a difference the trim made.....seriously!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1