Thursday, September 23, 2010

Non-Toxic Brass Cleaning

There's an old (albeit graphic and cruel) adage that goes "there's more than one way to skin a cat." I'm wondering: is there more than one way to polish tarnished brass? The two campaign dressers in my bedroom are overdue for a much-needed sprucing.

Months ago, I tried Jenny's suggestion of Barkeeper's Friend, but that brass hardware didn't want to come clean. I was getting very frustrated, and felt I needed to turn to more toxic options (yuck!).

Fortunately, over at ReNest, they highlighted Jules of Pancakes and French Fries, whose green pantry-sourced brass cleaner really got me thinking: Could this non-toxic option work on the dull hardware of my campaign dressers?

According to Jules, the recipe requires white vinegar, flour, and salt, producing a goop that appears to work wonders!
Take a look:

(all via Pancakes and French Fries)

This weekend, I'm giving this goop a go (say that ten times fast).
Do you have any secret family recipes for cleaning brass?
Do tell, do tell!


  1. I feel like white vinegar is such a miracle cleaning product. I use it my bathroom all the time. Hope it works its magic for you!

  2. I hope so, too. If not, the goopy mixture will be my own little (cheap) chemistry experiment at home!

  3. I don't have any homemade solutions for cleaning brass, but I've used Brasso and paper towels before and it has worked wonders.

  4. Thanks, Fran! I'll definitely keep Brasso in mind as a backup.


I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...