Thursday, September 23, 2010

Non-Toxic Brass Cleaning

There's an old (albeit graphic and cruel) adage that goes "there's more than one way to skin a cat." I'm wondering: is there more than one way to polish tarnished brass? The two campaign dressers in my bedroom are overdue for a much-needed sprucing.

Months ago, I tried Jenny's suggestion of Barkeeper's Friend, but that brass hardware didn't want to come clean. I was getting very frustrated, and felt I needed to turn to more toxic options (yuck!).

Fortunately, over at ReNest, they highlighted Jules of Pancakes and French Fries, whose green pantry-sourced brass cleaner really got me thinking: Could this non-toxic option work on the dull hardware of my campaign dressers?

According to Jules, the recipe requires white vinegar, flour, and salt, producing a goop that appears to work wonders!
Take a look:



(all via Pancakes and French Fries)

This weekend, I'm giving this goop a go (say that ten times fast).
Do you have any secret family recipes for cleaning brass?
Do tell, do tell!

4 comments:

  1. I feel like white vinegar is such a miracle cleaning product. I use it my bathroom all the time. Hope it works its magic for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so, too. If not, the goopy mixture will be my own little (cheap) chemistry experiment at home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any homemade solutions for cleaning brass, but I've used Brasso and paper towels before and it has worked wonders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Fran! I'll definitely keep Brasso in mind as a backup.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1