Thursday, April 8, 2010

People Only Die of Love in Movies

Last week I posted about the inspirational beauty of my favorite movie, The Royal Tenebaums. As far as a film goes, it's pretty much the tops in my mind...except for Jacques Demy's film The Umbrellas of Cherbourg (or, Les Parapluies de Cherbourg).

This film stars the luminous Catherine Deneuve who is nothing short of breathtaking. But the reason I highlight this film is because, like Wes Anderson features, Demy creates an atmosphere that draws me from my reality into the technicolor other-world of a mid-century coastal France.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg is the story of two young lovers, faced with war and an unplanned pregnancy. Deneuve plays Genevieve, the only child of a single mother, who falls in love with Guy, an auto mechanic destined for military service. They are pulled apart and, just as he leaves, she discovers she is pregnant. They hope to marry and raise the child together, but time and space have other plans for these two. In their separation, the film gently reminds us that fate often intercedes in our best interest.

If you haven't seen this film, I highly recommend it. The lush colors and singing (yes, the dialogue is French and entirely sung) are an escape.

(all via Google)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1