Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Visting Chicago: Shopping for Antiques

Downtown Chicago is home to the famous "Magnificent Mile" where a shopper can drop thousands if she's not careful; but during our Chicago visit, Adam and I sought out a different neighborhood for shopping: Edgewater.

Why did we take a 30-minute bus ride from our Lincoln Park hotel to the Edgewater neighborhood?
Two reasons, actually: Edgewater Antique Mall and Broadway Antique Market.

These two multi-dealer antique spots are chock full of goodies, especially those pieces that are modern or mid-century in origin. I'm pretty sure I walked through each booth with eyes and mouth wide open.
Take a look at some of my favorite items:
Writing this post reminds me that I should have bought everything in sight and rented a U-Haul to get home instead of flying. How fun is that multicolored cushion ottoman?
And that brass and stone table? Talk about regret.
These black Italian chairs were $125 for the pair and so, so sleek.
In need of a burl wood parsons table with at least 3 leaves?
After Edgwater Antique Mall, we headed one block away to the Broadway Antique Market which proudly advertised a shopper's favorite word: SALE!
BAM can only be described as a mid-century lover's mecca. See what I mean...
I appreciated the unexpected combination of Bertoia chair and Empire-style table.
And don't even get me started on the brass-and-wool bench.
If I had a massive suitcase, I would not have left this beauty behind. Trust.
Can't you just see this blue blown glass fixture in my bedroom?
You know you can.
(all images via Meet Me in Philadelphia)

Prices were very reasonable, I thought, for the quality offerings these stores had. If you're planning a trip to Chicago, I definitely recommend adding these spots to your itinerary.

Edgewater Antique Mall
6134 N. Broadway
Chicago, IL 60660
http://www.edgewaterantiquemall.com/

Broadway Antiques Market
6130 N. Broadway
Chicago, IL 60660
http://www.bamchicago.com/

7 comments:

  1. I love Chicago and antique shopping there. We're planning on going this summer for a little getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Headed to Chicago later this summer and will definitely try and work these spots into our visit. I LOVE the brass and dark blue bench.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous! That looks amazing.

    FYI: I think the wire chairs are by Bertoia, not Saarinen. Jet lag? :)

    I love your blog. Thanks for giving me something fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Samantha--whoops! Geez, you know you've had a busy week when...

    Thanks for correcting me and for reading along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, these shops are paradise! ;) So, did you get the blue bubble glass thing? What else did you get? I would love to see your purchases! :)

    http://www.scavengenius.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I live in Milwaukee and will definitely check these out! Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love shopping in Chicago. You had some great finds!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1