Thursday, May 12, 2011

DIY Lighting Fixture Revealed--Finally!

 Almost three months ago, I shared with you part 1 of an interesting lighting project straight out of the Home Depot electrical/plumbing aisles. Jenny of Little Green Notebook also featured this coral-inspired lighting project and just this week, I finally got around to having it hung in our bedroom.

First, let me just say that Adam and I know our DIY limits, and so we called in Adam's very savvy dad Ed to help us. He must have felt sorry for us (given, you know, our leak) and obliged. 

Step 1: Remove our "builder's special" fixture.
 
Step 2: Say mean and nasty things to the fixture you are removing.

Let this be a warning to you, kids: Just Say No [to ugly fixtures].
Step 3: Secure a porcelain outlet mount to the ceiling, and connect to your original wiring.

The requisite "electrical" shot:
Step 4: Screw your chandelier into the outlet mount (just like you'd screw in a lightbulb).

Finally...let there be light!
This fixture can really be changed depending on whether I want a small- or large-scale light. I can easily add pieces to it if I want a bigger impact. It really has a coral-type feel, and I love it.
And, once more before I go, a great close up shot:
How do you like it?

If you have specific questions about installing this fixture, send me an email and I'll do my best to get some reasonable directions for you to follow (from Ed, of course!). It only took about 15 minutes to take down the original fixture and replace it with the new coral chandelier.

What a difference 15 minutes makes, huh?

13 comments:

  1. It looks great, Ashley!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job!! It does look like coral! Take care, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice! So nice not to be locked into ugly fixtures just because its a rental. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! I have had this project bookmarked for months! I even went to Lowe's once to get the supplies but they didn't have what I needed. You have inspired me to get back on track!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Awesome job! I know the feeling of ugly light fixtures. The joys of living in an apartment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow!! This is awesome. Great job. :)

    thirdfloordesignstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did I miss this???? Bri sees all. I will now go and sit in the corner.

    Looks fabulous. I like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new light fixture is bright and airy. Love, love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! It’s so beautiful! The light fixture gave the room a cozy atmosphere and a stylish touch. I can’t imagine that this light was just a DIY project. I think this would look lovely in our master bedroom. My wife would absolutely love this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with Santiago! I never thought that this light was just a DIY project! It sure does look like a real coral illuminating on the ceiling! I want to have one and put it in our bathroom. It’ll add to the “Under the sea” theme of our bathroom!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1