Monday, October 24, 2011

A Visit to Elephant's Trunk Flea Market

This weekend, Adam and I paid a visit to the large Elephant's Trunk Flea Market in western Connecticut on our way home from visiting my parents. This market opens nearly every Sunday between April and late November and always offers a great find! If you have heard of Elephant's Trunk, it's probably because you know it's one of Eddie Ross's favorite flea markets.

Sunday's trip to Elephant's Trunk was our fourth or fifth, and decidedly the gloomiest (weather-wise, that is).
Nonetheless, the lot was packed when we rolled in mid-morning. 
A mid-fall chill won't get in the way of dedicated shoppers, now will it?
Every time Adam and I have stopped at the flea market, we've always walked away with something that we love.
Today, I'll highlight some of the offerings that caught my eye on Sunday. Hope you enjoy!

Up first: the extensive selection of rugs. Clearly I have a thing for Persian and Turkish rugs because, had I the means, each of these would have been rolled up and carted back to Philly with us.
Many styles of furniture can be found at Elephant's Trunk, all for reasonable prices. 
The warm tone of this table, along with its delicious spool legs, stood out in the crowd. 
It was being sold for a fair price of $110.
Wouldn't this cabinet be a precious addition to a child's bedroom or playroom? 
I could see painting it a soft color and organizing baby's first book collection in it.
The traditional carved details of this pair of chairs would be the perfect unexpected combination for a modern, graphic print on the seat. Can you imagine it? They were less than $25 for the two.
 Certainly many mid-century pieces could be found at the market, including this pair of chairs, which look to be Paul McCobb (albeit covered in a hideous leopard-print fleece--seriously, what is that?).
A MCM log holder:
One dealer had a set of 8 tulip chairs (I didn't look to see if they were authentic) that were in excellent condition.
This set of 4 bentwood armchairs made me weak. Gorgeous. I hope they went to a good home.
 Like furniture, the many vendors of Elephant's Trunk offered a diverse selection of artwork, and I snapped a number of them that I think you'd all love to see.

Need a English hunting scene for your '30's-era smoking room or library? Voila:
 This oversized floral piece was spectacular, I swear! It appeared to be handpainted on silk and was approximately 4 feet x 2.5 feet.
 Still into the antler craze? 
Why not try this metal buck head ($110) for a spin on the trend.
 Portraits were also available at a number of great prices. 
This large painting was $15 and the colors were very soft in person.
Are you curious about what did make it home with us? 
A small oil seascape painting (which I didn't manage to take a photo of) and this mirror (which was $30).
Oh, and no trip to a fall fair is complete without some sugar-covered fried dough.
Hope you all had a wonderful weekend and had fun thrifting, crafting, painting, creating or flea marketing like I did. 
I highly recommend the Elephant's Trunk Flea Market and suggest you all go, as long as you leave some good finds for me!

10 comments:

  1. Love that mirror!! I have a similar antique one in the bedroom I grew up in. Great choice!! I also love the metal deer head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza! What amazing pieces. The art is fantastic! Did you bring anything home?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather--I did! I walked away with the large mirror in the 2nd to last picture. Very happy with the deal I got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, those Persian rugs? Be still my beating heart! I love what you said about the antique chairs having a modern, graphic print on them. I can see them on either side of a modern console..

    So, did you get the mirror for over your barcart? It looks pretty substantial. Love the shape.

    I thought of you when I bought this month's Martha Stewart at the grocery store today. (Why do I pay newsstand prices?) You are right, it did not disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had me at the rugs! Clearly I need to check this place out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh.. im guessing the mirror is going underneath the bar cart..? Ha! I knew it, im psychic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize that something this fabulous happened so close to where I live. I'll definitely need to check it out sometime! Love that mirror by the way. Is it going over your bar cart?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Camille, Bri, and Carrie: You guessed correctly! The big mirror is headed for the space above the bar cart (after a color makeover, most likely).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa what a great spot. I want all of the rugs. All of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...looks like a great spot...gotta make a trip.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1