Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Can I Register for Upholstery Services?

My family, friends, and co-workers are blessing me in the upcoming weeks with three (!) wedding showers, which has prompted significant interest in "what I want". Hmmm...do they realize the Pandora's box they're opening up with such an open-ended question?

What I want? What I want?!

Sure, Adam and I have registered for the typical stuff...you know, plates, silverware, wine glasses, ice cream maker, etc; but there's a part of me dying to add something outlandish and unexpected.

Our newlywed friends Matt and Valerie recently suggested we include something "big" that we don't expect to actually receive (full disclosure: Adam is contemplating adding an iPad), but I'm thinking I'll go in a different direction.

What do I really want to register for?
Upholstery services because, hot damn, it gets 'spensive when you've got many projects in the queue.

Take a look at the pieces waiting around to be revamped as a wedding gift.

My living room chair 
(swiftly moving on the Sister Parish "Tucker" fabric):
 The worn-out ottoman we salvaged from Adam's grandparents:
 My $13 Ebay x-bench, languishing with this Golden Girls fabric for far too long:
 And finally, my most recent acquisition, a side chair for our den:
As you can see, registering for upholstery services would be a wiser investment than candlesticks or a crock pot. I mean, how many posts on this blog have been dedicated to crock pots? None.

Now, the question is, can I get away with it?
For all you marrieds out there: did you register for anything "outside the box"?
If so, do tell!

7 comments:

  1. OK, I'm not married nor am I at all traditional, but why can't people add to an upholstery fund? Or just a gift certificate to good ole Joe the upholsterer?

    PS- I really need to have you over my place for your keen "chair eye". I need two chairs and am a bit lost as to what style I want!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re-upholstery party, anyone? I have a hideous mauve rocker in my living room that is dying to be recovered. I like to refer to it as honeysuckle... makes it sound hip. ;)Big projects scare me!

    And AWESOME find on that X-bench!!! I'm searching for two myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did register for a few fun, extremely unnecessary things that we didn't expect to get (soda maker + sewing machine) and ended up getting both! The worst that can happen is no one gives it to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, can I just tell you how much I love that chair! I have to find one just like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go for it...you have nothing to lose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, I say, absolutely! What I realize now is that after 5 years of marriage, I didn't register for the things I loved! And, I am embarrassed to say this, but I've sold a lot of the things we received. So, register for the things that'll make you happy and thay you'll cherish. That is the whole point, right? You'll probably have that x-bench for the rest of your life!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been looking for an xbench like that! great find and even better price.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1