Monday, November 22, 2010

Giving at Thanksgiving

(via Martha Stewart)

In the midst of the holiday blitz, I forget just how fortunate I am.

I have always had enough, always more than enough.
I've always had a job, a place to live, food in my refrigerator, clothing in my closet, and heat to keep me warm. These most basic needs are often overlooked because they are simply that: basic. What is so easily forgotten is that, for many, these basic needs are left unmet.

This morning I am heading to the grocery store. It will likely be brimming with stay-at-home moms and kiddos filling their shopping carts with all the necessities to make Thursday's feast memorable. I, too, will buying food for Thanksgiving.

I'm proud to donate food to help improve a stranger's holiday feast.

If you want to make a donation but don't know how, here is just a few organizations that could benefit from the support of caring people:


In the Philadelphia area: Philabundance
Nationwide: Feeding America

And for a local impact, search for food banks in your area that could benefit from your donations or your time.

I hope that we all give what we can this holiday season to ensure that more Americans have a happy Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Ashley! I completely agree - it's easy to forget to be thankful in the midst of the holiday craze. We hope to continue my husband's tradition when my son gets a little older. My husband's family every Thanksgiving went to a soup kitchen and helped served Thanksgiving meals to all those in need. Think that is a great way to keep it all real and in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful tradition, Fran! You are raising a very thoughtful little boy! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I have been so caught up in the Christmas shopping extravaganza that is my job right now...that I totally forgot the whole meaning of Thanksgiving! Thank you for reminding me, I have so much to give thanks for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get so caught up in *getting things done* that I can lose site of the point of it all. Thank you so much for this gentle reminder about the real spirit of the holiday season. Wishing you and Adam a very happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
UA-43993612-1